Thursday, April 17, 2008

Hot Dogs, Part Two



Dan's still under the weather, so our meal planning is out the window and replaced by whatever sounds good to him. He's the type of person who loses their appetite very quickly when sick (unlike me), so I try to make sure he has things he likes to eat around.

Despite our veggie hot dog dinner earlier in the week, tonight he said he just wanted a polish sausage.



So I went down to the store and picked up the polish sausage, some other provisions for him (in case he has a hankering for pudding or jello), and grabbed a variety of veggies for me to roast as a side dish - namely red potatoes, carrot, yellow squash & zucchini.



When I got home, I chopped the veggies, along with some white onion, jalapeno, and mushrooms, and threw it all on a baking sheet, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with salt & pepper, and tossed it under the broiler for awhile. It's a trick the owner of Topolino's Pizza (which I used to live a block from) taught me once. We talked as he made me a vegan pizza, mostly about cooking and vegetarianism, and he mentioned how he loves to just roast up veggies in the pizza oven as a meal.



Dan likes his dogs with nothing but mustard, so I kept his basic. He also didn't have a huge appetite, so he only wanted to taste the roasted veggies, so I gave him one of each, 'artfully' presented. I on the other hand smothered mine in saurkraut, Sriracha, mustard, mayo, and horseradish.

No comments: