Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Zum Zum



Today was day two of my new job, and without any leftovers for lunch, I decided to treat myself to a little Zum Zum.



Cafe Zum Zum is a Downtown Seattle lunch spot that serves delicous Pakistani/Indian curries for a great price. They consistently draw a line of people out to the sidewalk. Beyond the great food, I think the secret to their success is a simple menu with really only one option - but with endless variations. You can get rice, a warmed up tortilla (a cheap version of naan), and one or two curries for around $5. Or, you can get 'salad' (chopped iceberg lettuce), a warmed up tortilla, and one or two curries for $4.91, including tax - which is what I always go for. Zum Zum has a strong following, including many of my coworkers, and many complain about Zum Bloat: the feeling of overfullness after eating all that rice and curry. I find their salad variation is satisfying without being too much, and the tortilla is plenty of starch. Although they have a variety of chicken and lamb curries, I always stick to the veggie ones (which are also cheaper). My favorites are the spinach potato curry, the split garbanzo curry, and the garbanzo potato curry - though the black eyed peas curry is also great, and often the daily special for $3.99 (plus tax).

No comments: