Sunday, January 11, 2009

Apple Muffins - A Lesson in Chemistry?



Today we made Apple Muffins, using the Fujis we got from Tonnemaker Hill Farm... but I ran into a problem. We didn't have any milk, and I couldn't use up the cream we had. So I used water instead. Even before they went in the oven, I worried out loud to Dan that I might be in for a surprise, because without the milk, the pH of the batter might be altered. And lo and behold, the muffins ended up flat on top. I'm still researching to try to figure out if the issue was that the baking powder over-produced carbon dioxide, which caused big bubbles that popped and deflated the muffins... or if the baking powder under-reacted, leaving the muffins flat. I'm leaning toward the former, since the muffins had a pock marked appearance and I'm fairly certain they were rounded when they came out of the oven.

We sprinkled some granola given to us by a friend/coworker of mine on a half the muffins, to break up the monotony of the week's breakfasts - and I made a tray of mini-muffins, too.

No comments: