Thursday, January 1, 2009

First Meal of the New Year: Mai Tai French Toast



As our first meal of 2009, I made us some Mai Tai french toast. I started by chopping some pineapple into small chunks, then putting it in a saucepan with some orgeat syrup, lime juice and dark rum. Then I mixed 4 large eggs with some pineapple juice, orange juice, milk, and light rum. I used the egg batter to soak slices of french bread, then fried them in a skillet with plenty of butter. I had to add more rum and orgeat periodically, as the pineapples cooked down, until finally there was no liquid and the pineapple chunks were soft, flavorful, and slightly carmelized. I served the toast covered in the pineapple sauce, and with a chunk of fresh pineapple on the side (with a little umbrella in it, of course).

No comments: