Friday, March 13, 2009

Mashed Potato Tacos



After having a drink at the Zig Zag Cafe to wish a long-time coworker well in the next chapter of her life, I bussed home and we whipped up some mashed potato tacos. We started with a couple big potatoes, skin on, and chopped them into 1 inch cubes before boiling them until tender. Then we mashed them up with some butter and milk - and added plenty of cumin, salt, and chili powder. My friend Robert gave me the tip that you need to really over-season the potatoes, because the flavor will be lost easily amidst the potato and corn shell - which was a good thing, because even when I felt like I'd over-seasoned them, they still could have used a little more. To go with the potatoes, I cooked down some diced red and green pepper, onion, and garlic, and we also packed in some shredded lettuce, pickled jalapenos, and salsa - topping it all off with some Cotija cheese.

No comments: