Thursday, April 2, 2009

Denise's Birthday at Blue C Sushi



Tonight, my family got together at Blue C Sushi at University Village to celebrate my big sister's birthday. (But not before my car broke down on the UW campus and my Dad had to come jump start it... but that's a long, boring story, and nowhere near as fun as sushi on a conveyer belt.)



My folks hadn't been to Blue C before, but the rest of us had (my sister & brother-in-law frequent the one at Alderwood Mall). So we showed them the ropes of the Kaiten Sushi Dining experience, explaining how the color of the plate indicated the price, and we all got to work pulling plates of the moving conveyer belt that passes by the tables. My mom hasn't had a lot of sushi, but she went for California and Philly Rolls, and tried one of my Red Dragon rolls - and seems to be enjoying sushi. My Dad, on the other hand, loves his sushi... and loves his wasabi even more. I've never seen anyone pile wasabi onto their plate like he does. At the start of the meal, he grabbed the tub and asked where everyone else's wasabi was. And my Mom holds her own with the wasabi, too - so I know I get my love of spicy food from both sides.



Denise seemed to have a great time, as did we all. It had been awhile since we'd all been together, so it was great to catch up. My folks just returned from a trip to some islands in the Caribbean and down the Amazon, and brought some pictures to share, which looked amazing.



I, of course, ordered my favorite drink - a Plumartini - which is a vodka martini with a sizable splash of plum wine. Sweet, a little sour, and crisp - and what I needed after standing in the rain trying to jump start the car.



Dan & I chowed through some spider rolls, seared tuna, lobster rolls, the aforementioned Red Dragon rolls, and a few more tasty rolls - and I ended the meal with some tobiko (flying fish roe) rolls, which I slathered in wasabi. Denise, being the birthday girl, finished her meal with two small, mango flavored mochi balls - an appropriate dessert for the location and occasion, I think.



And as is my tradition, we stacked all the plates in a tower, in the order of the plate color - which seemed to amuse our waiter, but not as much as me taking a picture of the plates.



Blue C Sushi on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Zoe said...

we eat at blue c all the time too (the twins love it) and I always make fun of David who is obsessed with stacking the plates by color and in order.