Friday, May 15, 2009

Frugal Fridays: Kabab House



I catch the bus home across from the County Courthouse in Downtown Seattle. When we first moved, I actually walked a little further, risking missing my bus, to avoid standing at this bus stop. Despite being across from such a symbol of the law, the West side of Third between James and Yesler is a pretty rough block. I've learned how to board buses that can't actually pull up to the curb due to ambulances or police cars lining the block, because it happens with some frequency. I've seen more than a couple arrests, and have learned to keep my wits about me and avoid waiting at the stop alone, particularly if it's after dark.

It's (well deserved) reputation perhaps explains why the one little restaurant space on the block changes hands so often. As I've walked by it over the past couple years, I think I've seen it change 3 times or more, and have never seen it full of customers (though I'm usually not walking by at lunch time). I've never done it any favors myself, having not tried the food served by any of the previous tenants. And when the newest tenant took over the space and put up their signs, I was disappointed to see all the menu items were above my Frugal Friday threshold*, with curries and dals ranging from $5.95 to 7.95 before tax - a risky move given the comparable menu items at competitive pricing up the street.



It would appear other people were disappointed, too, because in the past few weeks some hand written signs have been posted advertising some new menu items - including a $3.99 (+ tax) Falafel Sandwich that I just couldn't pass up.



Despite the sometimes scary, usually dirty street outside, my experience was that Kabab House Indian Cuisine (at 521 Third Ave) is a spotlessly clean establishment, with lots of booth seating. At just $3.99, I was worried that the Falafel Sandwich would be small and I'd be left hungry. But I was pleasantly surprised when, after about a 3-5 minute wait, I was handed a bag containing a big, heavy sandwich. And was even more delighted when I opened it up back at my office and found a 9" roll long of pita bursting with around freshly made falafel, tomatoes, lettuce, and onion, and seasoned with a yogurt sauce and a spicy sauce (an option afforded to me when ordering). Besides being huge, the sandwich was really good, and the apparent quality of the ingredients perhaps explains the pricing structure on the other menu items. The thick cut slices of tomato were bright red, juicy, and seemed incredibly fresh, and the falafel was really pretty yellows and greens and browns from the mix of seasonings.

So do me a favor, and go grab a falafel sandwich from Kabab House, so maybe it'll stick around. Given that their menu describes them as "Seattle's Best Dining Experience", how could you not? They're also 100% Halal, in case that's a criteria relevant to your dining choices.



(*excluding a $2.50 soup, and sides like Naan and samosas.)

(Frugal Fridays is a weekly series dedicated to finding Seattle lunch spots where you can walk in with a $5 bill and walk out with a fulfilling, preferably healthy, lunch. If you have suggestions of places in the Seattle area with a great lunch for under $5 after tax, post a comment - I'd love the help.)

No comments: