Thursday, May 28, 2009

Oven Fried Chicken



Another freezer leftover were some chicken drumsticks from God knows when. We put 'Fried Chicken' on our menu, and picked up some potatoes at Olsen Farms, and some Mizuna greens to go with it. Dan suggested we oven 'fry' the chicken, to make it a little lighter - which seemed like a good idea on a week when we're having so many rich meals.

I dried the chicken and rolled it in flour, then rolled it in some egg wash, then back in the flour to build up a nice crust. In a Pyrex baking dish, I melted a 1/4 cup of butter in the oven on 425 degrees F, then placed the chicken in the pan. I baked it for 30 minutes on the first side, then 15 more on the second.

To go with it, I made up some mashed potatoes, using the creme fraiche leftover from the Asparagus Memento Meal last weekend. And I fried some chopped white onion and garlic in bacon fat, then tossed in some kalamata olives, chopped lemon rind, and the Mizuna greens and tossed them just until they were wilted (clearly inspired by my tasty salad at La Medusa last night).

I made the fatal error of mixing the potatoes with an electric hand blender - which made them a little gummy (gluten?), but we both still really enjoyed the dinner and Dan's plate was clean before I knew it.

No comments: