Monday, June 15, 2009

Hawai'i Day Three: Shave Ice & Magnum P.I.



On our way out this morning, we grabbed a couple egg, sausage, and cheese breakfast sandwiches at Mac 24/7 To Go. Then we visited the Waikiki Aquarium - where some of my earliest childhood memories took place on my first visit to Hawai`i back in the 70's. After that, we walked to the Diamond Head Crater, and climbed to the top and back in record-breaking heat. When we got back to the bottom, we rewarded ourselves with a lilikoi shave ice from a snack bus parked in the park. Lilikoi is the Hawaiian word for Passion Fruit - and has become one of my all-time favorite flavors. While here, I want it in everything. If I could figure out how to combine mai tais, kalua pork and lilikoi in a single dish, I will.





Back down in Waikiki, we hit Lu Lu's for lunch - a restaurant we've visited and loved while in Kona on the Big Island. I went for the Magnum P.I. burger - a bacon, avocado cheeseburger, along with spicy 'Volcano' fries. The staff were really friendly and our waitress was wonderful. She introduced me to adding lemon to Stella Artois, which cut the bitterness a bit and made it even better.







After gorging a bit at lunch on our huge burgers and fries, we opted for dinner in the room - a couple chicken Caesar salads.



(Dan's writing all about our trip over at our other blog, The Dans In Hawai`i, so I'll just stick to writing what I know: food.)

Lu Lu's Waikiki Surf Club on Urbanspoon

No comments: