Saturday, October 3, 2009

TCM, El Sombrero and a New Favorite Film

This afternoon I had my first session with acupuncturist/Thai massage therapist Eric Spivack, which left me feeling really great. Afterwards, Dan picked me up and we headed out to lunch at El Sombrero - naturally forgetting the camera.

We had planned to make some chicken pot pie for dinner, but both felt so full after lunch that we decided to push that meal plan off until next weekend. Instead, we did some packing, Dan went for a short run, I read a bit of a book on Traditional Chinese Medicine I borrowed from Eric, and we curled up on the couch and watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which I highly recommend. The theme of the film seemed to be living life to the fullest, treating each moment as if it could be your last. It seemed very Buddhist to me - very much about the suffering that can arise from attachment, and the acceptance of the truth that the only thing certain is death, but the time of death is uncertain. It wasn't at all what I expected, and (maybe it was the massage and acupuncture), but I really felt a calmness and joy after watching it. I'd heard it was sad, but it's sad in a way that makes you remember what's important and appreciate the little things we sometimes take for granted.

No comments: