Saturday, December 5, 2009

Bridging the Holidays



Today was Bridging the Holidays - an annual tradition of getting together sometime between Thanksgiving/Christmas/Hanukkah/New Year's to spend time with my Dad's family. This year, we did a potluck at my aunt Ellen & uncle Jim's beautiful home in Lake Stevens/Snohomish.



Dan & I contributed appetizers, and made up some puff pastry wrapped olives, puff pastry & pesto pinwheels, prosciutto-wrapped Medjool dates, and a dip we made by adapting the Moroccan carrot salad recipe we make often to turn it into a dip.



I basically made the salad, then blended it all up in a food processor... with a few adjustments. I added about 2-3 times the cumin, paprika, oil, and lemon juice, to get the flavors strong and the consistency right for dipping. I started with the recipe as-is, blended it up, adding olive oil and lemon juice until the consistency was right, then added cumin & paprika until the flavor was right. People commented it tasted like a hummus, and even folks who don't like carrots dug right in.



We also enjoyed a delicious ham, garlic mashed potatoes, pineapple sweet potatoes, green bean casserole (a great version my Mom found on Food Network.com, I believe), corn & oysters, rolls, asparagus, and brownies, pumpkin & pecan pies, and ice cream for dessert. Not to mention some great wines!

No comments: