Monday, January 11, 2010

Chicken Parmesan



Despite having a collection of hundreds of cookbooks, including well over a dozen dedicated to Italian cuisine, I found none of them contained a recipe for chicken Parmesan.

So after a few internet searches to confirm there isn't some trick to the recipe, I winged it, taking my queues from my eggplant Parmesan recipe, taught to me by an old friend named Matteo.

I pounded out the chicken to an even thickness (about 1/2 inch), then dredged the pieces in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs seasoned with some oregano and basil. Then I fried the chicken over medium heat in some olive oil one one side, until golden, then flipped it over and topped it with Parmesan and Mozzarella cheeses, put on a lid, and reduce the heat and let the chicken cook and cheeses start to melt. Meanwhile, I put some marinara in a pot on the stove to heat up, and got the oven preheated to 350 degrees F. Once the chicken was nearly cooked through, but not quite, I put it all in a casserole dish, topped it with the marinara sauce, and put it in the oven to continue cooking and to allow the cheese to melt and brown. I ended up having to crank up the oven and ultimate put the dish under the broiler, but in the end it worked out. I only wish I'd portioned the chicken before dredging and cooking - which would've made serving easier.

No comments: