Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Yellow Curry with Garam Masala Rubbed Shrimp



Continuing this week's apparent theme of dry rubs, tonight I made up a big batch of yellow coconut curry using a recipe from Best of the Best of Hawaii that we've made many times, but I always forget how darn much it makes.

This time around, I did something a little different, though. Taking a queue from an episode of Barefoot Contessa (where she indicates a preference for the flavor of roasted, rather than pan seared prawns), and calling on what I learned in the Indian Cooking class Ruth & I enjoyed, I made up some garam masala and dry rubbed the shrimp with it before roasting them at 350 for about 5-7 minutes.

Dan & I both liked that the shrimp had their own flavor, and didn't just become a texture amidst all the coconut curry. I also think the roasting made it easier to avoid overcooking them, so I'll be using this technique again in the future.



No comments: