Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spam & Kalua Pig Sliders



Our friends Ruth & Paul, Sarah, and Spencer came over tonight to enjoy some time in Ke Ala 'Ula - our tiki bar.



Along with snacks, I served up some spam and kalua pig sliders. The kalua pig spent 5 hours in the oven today, and then I used a trick offered up by my office-mate Adam (who cooked his way through college): I put the cooked meat in my KitchenAid mixer with the paddle attachment, and turned it on low. The mixer perfectly broke the meat down, and was much easier than using two forks (my standard method). It also allowed me to pour back in juices (after deglazing and reducing) to add flavor back into the meat and get it distributed well.



For the spam, I cut the block in half, then sliced each into 1/4-1/2 inch slices. In a pan over medium-high heat, I poured in about a 1/2 cup of shoyu soy sauce, and a handful of sugar, and then laid in the spam and let it cook down, flipping once. The soy sauce and sugar carmelize into a sweet and salty coating on the spam, making it extra 'ono.



Sarah brought some amazing champagne mangos and cut them up for everyone to enjoy, as well - which as a nice, healthy counterpoint to sliders, shrimp chips and donkey balls (chocolate covered mac nuts).

No comments: