Monday, March 14, 2011

Baked Snapper with Ginger Salsa



Dan has been itchin' to try some new recipes from his favorite cookbook - Best of the Best from Hawaii - and this week he found one that looked promising: Baked Snapper with Ginger Salsa.

We had to do a little hunting around for the snapper, but after a little research we realized it's often referred to as Rockfish. That became absolutely clear when I opened the package and the smell of the uncooked fish reached my nose. I was hit with memories of fishing with my family as a kid, in our big orange boat. Then the flavors of batter fried Rockfish and chips came into my head. This was the same fish that we ate a lot when I was growing up, which I must not have eaten in years, maybe decades.

This preparation is pretty different than the fish & chips of my memories, but is equally delicious. Rockfish is a pretty bony little fish, however, so either spend some time pulling out the spines, or be sure to warn your diners. I did a little of both, pulling out those I could find after cooking (when the slip out easily), but still letting Dan know to be careful. I also still have memories of nearly swallowing a bone now and again.

Baked Snapper with Ginger Salsa
3 medium tomatoes
2 Tbspn chopped scallions
2 Tbspn chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbspn diced jicama
2 Tbspn fresh lime juice
2-3 tspn minced chili pepper
2 tspn peeled and minced fresh ginger

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Cover and let sit for at least an hour.

4 six-ounce fillets of red snapper
1 cup dry white wine
1 Tbspn lime juice

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place snapper fillets in a shallow pan and cover with wine and remaining one tablespoon lime juice. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Arrange fish on serving plate and spoon salsa on top.



No comments: