Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco de Mayo Guac-Off 2011



Last year, I was invited by some friends who work in another retail team at my company to judge their Cinco de Mayo Guacamole contest. It was a LOT of fun, and I was very excited to be asked back this year to judge the second annual event - this time encompassing multiple teams.

There were a lot more people, but a similar number of entries this year. But most notably different was me shaming my culinary prowess by selecting a store-bought guac as the winner. Truth be told, it was the only one that had any amount of spiciness to it - and it had a lot. Those who know me know I'm a bit of a whore for heat, so the mellow burn left by that guac led me to my decision. Given the texture (very, very smooth), I should've deduced it was store-bought, but I couldn't resist the spice.

After much of the guac was consumed and many margaritas drunk, another team popped over with bowls of creme brulee - and a butane torch - and began bruleeing them a la minute. It was so seemingly random but so wonderful. I didn't score a bite, but the empty bowls made it pretty clear how good they were.

No comments: