Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Eggplant Parmesan



My last year of college (in Bellingham, WA), I spent a lot of time driving down to Seattle on weekends to visit friends. I met a great guy named Matteo, who was a wonderful host and a generous friend, always offering me a place to stay at his great condo, and making me delicious food. It was strictly a platonic friendship, but we formed a close bond quickly. At the time, I wasn't much of a cook (having lived off dormitory food and Taco Bell for most of my college years). One evening, Matteo taught me his grandmother's recipe for Eggplant Parmesan, which was delicous, and a dish I've made many times since - though I suspect I don't make it anywhere near as well as Matteo or his grandmother.

Eggplant Parmigiana Tacchini
1 Eggplant
1 Egg
1 cup Flour
1 small block Parmigian cheese
Homemade tomato sauce
Cooking oil

Cut ends off of eggplant and peel. Cut crossways into ½ inch slices. Dredge each slice in flour, dip in egg (both sides), and then back in flour. Cook in a large skillet at medium heat in just enough oil to prevent sticking. Flip pieces often. When last side is browning, place a thin slice of parmigian cheese on top, allowing it to melt over sides. As each batch is finished, serve immediately or place on a baking sheet in a warm oven. Serve with a small portion of sauce on top. If desired, serve over pasta, such as angelhair.

No comments: