Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Salmon, Broccoli, and Mashed Potatoes



I don't think we can go 2 weeks without having at least one dinner that includes steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes sides. My fiance lived off those two sides, along with baked chicken breasts, for years before we met, so I think it has a comfort food quality for him. Sometimes we do a field roast or turkey with brown gravy, and sometimes we do salmon. Living in Seattle, we're blessed with wonderful, fresh fish, and a good selection of salmon, so we end up cooking it quite a bit.

Tonight we had coho salmon, which I seasoned with some lemon juice, dill weed, salt & pepper and then grilled on an indoor grill my folks gave me years ago. I think the next time we make this, I'll try to marinate the salmon during the day to get more flavor, though the natural taste of the salmon is good on it's own. My dad has done some salmon on the BBQ in recent years that's been marinated in salad dressing, and it's really moist and flavorful. I'll have to remember to ask him what he used.

The broccoli we simply threw in a bamboo steamer, sprinkled with lemon juice, salt, pepper and (of all things) taco seasoning (I keep a premixed container of it on hand, alongside my salt & pepper), and steamed for 5 minutes or so. And the potatoes (foodies, avert your eyes) are out of a box. It's that comforting, familiar taste of reconstituted potato flakes that we crave.

No comments: