Monday, March 3, 2008

Roasted Pepper Chicken/Chik'n Quesadillas



My fiance & I plan out our meals for the week, so that we can order just the items we need from Safeway.com, and so we don't have to scramble to buy ingredients or decide what to eat every night. We both work full time, which for him means leaving the house before 7am and getting home a little after 5, and for me leaving around 8am and getting home as early as 5 and as late as 7 (like tonight). So knowing what we're going to make for dinner and having everything we need ensures we eat well and avoid the stress of figuring out what to eat when we're already hungry.

Mondays we usually choose a quick and easy meal, knowing that after the first day back to work after the weekend we'll be less inclined to spend a lot of time cooking. This week was no different, and we specifically planned quesadillas for dinner. This dinner is also a chance for my fiance to get some real chicken for dinner, while I can stick to a vegetarian option.

Precooked, presliced chicken (for him)
Morningstar Mealstarters fake chicken (for me)
12 inch flour tortillas
Preshredded 'Mexican' cheese mix
1 Red bell pepper
2 Avocados
5 Jalapenos
1 lime
2 green onions

Under the broiler, I roasted the jalapenos and red pepper. Meanwhile, I cut the green onion into small pieces, cut the avocado flesh, and put those both in a food processor, and squeezed the juice of a lime over it. When the jalapenos were blackened, I added them to the food processor, sprinkled with salt, and pulsed until it was a thick sauce. When the red pepper was full roasted, I cut it into thin strips. After warming up the chicken and fake chicken in a skillet on medium heat and setting it aside, I put a tortilla in the hot skillet, spread cheese on it, piled on chicken and red peppers, a bit more cheese, and another tortilla. I let it heat until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is browned and crisp, then carefully flipped and browned the otherside until crisp. Finally, I cut the quesadilla into quarters with a pizza cutter, and served with the jalapeno avocado sauce.

No comments: