Sunday, July 27, 2008

Huli Huli and Mac Mac



For my second whole chicken attempt, tonight I roasted a handicapped poulet (it was missing a wing) in the Huli Huli style - a Hawaiian recipe that's a staple at luaus. In addition (to keep the Hawaiian theme alive), I made up some steamed rice (two scoops each, of course) and what I call Blond Mac Mac Salad. At Dan's suggestion, I added chopped macadamia nuts to the mac salad, along with some white carrots we picked up at the market - producing a nutty, all cream colored macaroni salad.

Huli Huli Chicken

The Sauce
1/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup broth
1/3 cup sherry
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup frozen pineapple juice concentrate
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbspn crushed fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tspn Worcestershire sauce

Mix all Sauce ingredients in a bowl. Brush the sauce all over the chicken, then roast in a 325 degree oven for about 90 minutes, basting frequently with sauce and juices.

No comments: