Saturday, July 26, 2008

Islander & HouseWarming



Dan & I had planned to meet with a couple friends for dinner before heading to our friend Heath's housewarming, but they ended up unavailable. We decided to go out to dinner anyway, and headed to an old favorite we haven't visited in awhile - the Islander.

We kicked things off right with a Mai Tai for me and a Mango Ginger Margarita for Dan.



Then we ordered a few appetizers to share for a light dinner. First out to the table was the Mango Ahi Poke. Not exactly your Auntie's poke, but a fun nouveau twist on the favorite. Dan & I both liked the mango addition.



Then we moved on to some edamame - boiled salted soybeans that are super satisfying when you have 'busy hands' like me.



Finally, we dug into the soft-shell crab summer rolls, which were really great and reminded me how fun it is to make summer rolls.



After another round of drinks (I switched to the Margarita, too), we walked down the street to Heath's place. We were some of the first guests to arrive, partly because many people were stuck in a rehearsal for the upcoming production of 9 to 5 at ReBar. Our good friend Spencer (Heath's boyfriend) took us up to the rooftop deck, to take in the great view. Soon enough people began flowing in - and straight up to the deck.



On a visit to the restroom, I realized that all the food Heath had prepared for the party was left alone down in the apartment. There was way too much to bring up on my own, so I made up a plate with a little of nearly everything: pickled okra wrapped in cream cheese and ham or tofurky, deviled eggs, olives, nuts, and some crudite. I headed back up to the deck and made my way around the party serving people - and the food disappeared fast. So I just got into a pattern of making up plates, then walking around the room. I think some people thought I was actually a cater waiter. For whatever reason, I had a blast. I got to present food, talk about food, and be social all at the same time. After a while, a 12yo girl at the party with her parents showed interest, so we worked together on the plates before I walked them around. And when we got to the dessert trays, she did all the layout on the plates and even the first round of serving. We had a blast. Once the food had made all the rounds it could, I ended up sitting down with her folks and talking. Her mother and I laughed and laughed as we talked, and her father invited Dan & I over for dinner sometime, so they can show us what Venezuelan food is like (they're both originally from there).

I should cater waiter at parties more often.


A plate of food at H

No comments: