Sunday, July 13, 2008

Wedding Reception Cake



Our parents threw a wedding reception for us today, as a way for friends and family who were unable to make it to Hawai'i to celebrate with us. They kept Dan & I in the dark about most of it, so when we arrived we were blown away by the decorations, food, setting, and the special touches. Our Moms put together a display of our vows, some pictures from the wedding, and pictures of Dan & I from baby pictures on through childhood and into adulthood - including a picture of my first trip to Hawai'i when I was just 3 years old. It made more than a couple people cry, I hear. And my Mom made sure to include one of my childhood favorite foods, tuna puffs, on the menu. I used to ask her to make them when I needed to take treats for school. As decorations for the tables, each had a glass vase containing lucky bamboo shoots, which were also the favors. Each guest took a bamboo shoot home, which I thought was a great gift.

The cake was something my sister coordinated (with financial help from Dan's sisters, too). Her friend Holly Levin, The Cake Lady, made it. The cake was a simple white vanilla, with a delicious chocolate ganache filling. But the outside of the cake was what was most amazing. My sister gave Holly one of the wedding invitations I made, which was a three dimensional box in red & white hibiscus print, tied with a ribbon. Holly was able to translate that into a cake big enough to feed the crowd - and did an amazing job of it. The color was exact, and the pattern (done in royal icing) was spot on. She even included a seam where the box lid met the bottom of the box. The details were astounding.

Cake


Invitation

No comments: