Sunday, December 28, 2008

Banana Walnut Muffins... and Bourbon Balls



We forgot to plan for breakfasts this week, and with our granola supply running out, I decided to make some muffins with whatever we had around. I realized I had two old bananas in the freezer (where I stick them if they don't get eaten before browning), and a ton of walnuts from making rum and bourbon balls* recently.

So I used my usual fruit muffin recipe, replacing the 2 cups of berries with the mashed bananas and about a cup of crumbled walnuts. I filled my new mini muffin pan (Thanks, sis!) and then one regular muffin pan, and baked them up. The minis were done in about 11 minutes, and I couldn't resist popping them in my mouth.



*And since I failed to write about the bourbon balls when we made them, here's the recipe. I made these for the first time with my friends Josh & Tyler, and they were a hit. Since then, Dan & I have made them a few times - including in the middle of the Nevada desert, while at Burning Man. We realized they're a great no-bake treat that's very welcome in the cold of winter, or in the heat of summer:

Rum & Bourbon Balls
3 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers (about 75 cookies)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup bourbon or rum
1/4 cup light corn syrup
powdered sugar to coat balls

Mix the crushed wafers, powdered sugar, pecans and cocoa. Stir together liquor and corn syrup. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cover your hands with powdered sugar and shape mixture into 1 inch balls. Roll each ball in powdered sugar until coated. Ideally, refrigerate in a tightly covered container overnight before serving... though they're great either way.

No comments: