Sunday, March 1, 2009

Blackberry Center Muffins



With the economy in the situation it is, Dan & I have cut back in a lot of areas, but mainly just not spending money on new things, when we know we have all the stuff we need to be happy. One of the plans we had made last summer was to try to make some blackberry wine, but spending the $100+ on supplies sounds a little frivolous now. So I've got almost 5 lbs of blackberries I foraged from the neighborhood last year, frozen and now available for other uses. So this week for our breakfasts, I decided to take what I learned from making muffins last week with frozen strawberries to make some frozen blackberry muffins. Again, I cut back on the amount of liquid by 1/4 cup, and pressed the berries into the center of the muffin batter after I'd already portioned it into the muffin cups.

I also ended up using some molasses to replace a portion of the honey (we ran out), so I suspect they'll have a richer flavor.

No comments: