Sunday, April 19, 2009

Lunch & the Museum



We've been meaning to get down to the Wing Luke Museum in the International District for some time, as they have an exhibit on Native Hawaiians in the Northwest. This morning, I suggested it, and with the sun shining, we walked down to the ID.



Before hitting the museum, we grabbed some lunch at Aloha Plates inside Uwajimaya. Dan was craving chicken teriyaki, and I decided to give their spicy chicken a try. I thought I'd be brave and order it 5 stars - but didn't have anything to worry about. Either their 5 stars is really mild - or they didn't trust I could handle the heat. Regardless, it was a tasty lunch - but way more than I could eat. I was happy to see that Uwajimaya's food court now has not only recycling, but a compost bin.



After our filling lunch, we made our way to the museum and spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the exhibits. I hadn't been to Wing Luke since I was a kid - on a field trip to the ID, back when the museum was in it's old location. I don't really remember much about it, but can definitely say the new space is beautiful. The exhibits were well done, and thought was put into making them interactive, which I think is an important way to help people engage and learn actively. Amidst an area set up to immerse you in a typical kitchen of a Native Hawaiian here in the Pacific Northwest was a number of cookbooks, including one that you were invited to flip through. And paper and pencil were provided in case you wanted to jot down any recipes. Of course, I just snapped photos of the recipe that caught my attention - malasadas.


No comments: