Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hawai'i Day Sixteen: Dogs, Marlin, Wine & Honey



After a trip to Sirius to get Dan his caffeine fix, a rainy (and shockingly cold) trip to the farmers market, and a quick stop at Malama Market, we headed home for lunch.



I grilled up some hot dogs, and we had them with some Maui Style salt & vinegar potato chips. And to wash it down, we drank a little treat: Reed's Extra Ginger Brew. It's a non-alcoholic, caffeine-free ginger beer that's got a spicy taste and lots of bubbles. A coworker introduced me to it a year or so ago, and I'm not sure I've had it since. Dan grabbed a couple bottles at Malama, and it was the perfect drink to go with our hot dogs, while we sat out on the patio.







In the afternoon, I whipped up a half-batch of breakfast muffins (since we only have 6 mornings left, and still have Golden Grahams and Granola to finish off). This batch includes bananas, pineapple, macadamia nuts, and coconut juice.



For this batch, I used some raw Lehua/Citrus honey from Wao Kele Farm in Ka`u - near the Southernmost tip of the US - that we got at the farmers market today.



Unfortunately, halving recipes can lead to odd results, and I think I didn't do a great job with adjusting properly to handle all the banana and liquid ingredients, so my muffins flattened out. But they'll still surely taste just fine - though perhaps a little more dense.



For dinner, I grilled up a couple marlin steaks and topped them with a 'salsa' of diced pineapple and lychee. With it, we had a little linguine with a lychee butter. I wouldn't say it was my best work, but it was satisfying. Dan reminded me that the first thing I cooked for him, way back when we first started dating, was some marlin.



After dinner, we settled into our usual routine of some time on the couch with a couple episodes of True Blood Season One on DVD.

Although a big glass of red wine would probably be an appropriate accompaniment to a vampire show, it doesn't sound that good when the weather is so warm and humid. Instead, I had a glass of Maui Splash Passion Fruit wine made by Tedeschi Vineyards in Ulupalakua, Hawai`i.



(Dan's writing all about our trip over at our other blog, The Dans In Hawai`i, so I'll just stick to writing what I know: food.)

No comments: