Thursday, February 18, 2010

Roasted Spot Prawns w/ Coconut Ginger Rub



In preparation for Memento this Saturday, I headed to the U-District Farmers Market on Saturday to pick up some provisions (though notably not our secret ingredient). Before I left, I checked the Seattle Farmers Market web site and learned it was the last time the guy who sells spot prawns would be at the market - so I added that to my shopping list.

Tonight, we defrosted some of the prawns and (after peeling them) I coated them in a little oil and then a mixture of finely shredded coconut, ginger powder, and chili powder (plus salt & pepper, of course). I then roasted them in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes, and we had them over some simple rice, which wasn't the most filling meal, but the flavors turned out good. Paired with a veggie of some sort, and maybe with a fruity sauce, this may make it back on our meal plan in the future.

The cleaning of the prawns took longer than anticipated, because it turned out all but one of them were carrying roe - lots and lots of little eggs attached to their swimmerets (the back 'legs' of a decapod crustacean, primarily used for swimming). I was taken aback at first, but a quick Google search revealed the eggs are edible and reportedly very good - so I carefully saved them all. I plan to try brining them to make spot prawn caviar... we'll see how that works out. I've not been able to find any references to making caviar from shellfish roe online, but ebiko gunkan sushi is shrimp roe, so I don't think I'm treading in dangerous territory here.

No comments: