Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pork Tenderloin Medallions, Roasted Yukon Golds, and Fruit & Yogurt Salad



Dan bought a beautiful pork tenderloin for dinner tonight, but I got home so late that the time required to bring to room temperature and then roast it to the proper internal temperature (per Julia, Martha and Alton) was far too great. I almost threw my hands up (it was a long day), but instead decided to cut the loin in half, freeze half for a later date, and cut the other half into medallions and seasoned them with salt & pepper.

I let those sit for awhile while I chopped a few Yukon Gold potatoes from Olsen Farms, tossed them with olive oil, seasoned them with black salt and white pepper, and put them on a sheet pan in the oven at 425 to roast.

Then I heated up a little olive oil in my big paella pan (my everyday pan) tossed in some leftover halved grape tomatoes and some chopped shallots and let that cook down a bit, tossing in some capers and pepper. Once it began breaking down a bit and the shallots were transluscent, I moved that mixture to a small pot to keep it warm.

I then seared them off the pork medallions on both sides in the hot pan with a little more olive oil. Once they were nicely browned, I poured in a little white wine to bring up some of the fond from the pan, then dumped the tomato/shallot/caper mixture back in, put the lid on, and let the pork cook through.



While I was doing that, Dan was cutting up bananas, strawberries and oranges, and tossing them together with grapes and yogurt for a fruit salad.

Despite the rocky start, dinner turned out great - and we have plenty of fruit salad to snack on for breakfasts the next couple days.



No comments: