Sunday, April 11, 2010

Pickled Fish Tacos



Dan got some delicious mahi mahi from AmazonFresh this morning, and fish tacos sounded perfect to both of us, since were still full from this morning (or maybe from last night!) To make them a little different, I 'pickled' the main ingredients.



I started by cutting the fish into pieces, putting them in a shallow dish, and then adding enough lemon & lime juice to cover all the pieces - creating a ceviche effect, as the acids in the citrus juices cooked the outside of the fish.



Next I grated some carrot and sliced some cabbage (green and purple) thinly, and tossed it together.



I made a marinade for the veggies using apple cider vinegar, some honey, some sriracha, and a pinch of salt - creating a salty/sweet/sour/spicy liquid that I poured over the cabbage & carrot mixture, and tossed.



Next I grated some cheese (just a bit) and heated corn tortillas in a skillet, then kept them warm by putting them on a small plate and inverting another plate over the top.



I mixed together some onion powder, cumin, coriander, chili powder, cinnamon, black pepper and salt, then drained the citrus juices off the fish and sprinkled the spice mixture over the fish pieces.



Finally, I stirred the fish to evenly coat them with seasoning, and tossed them in the hot skillet (high heat and a little vegetable oil) and cooked them until done - a couple minutes.

Topped with a little guacamole and salsa, they were a quick, fresh dinner perfect for Sunday night.

No comments: