Monday, June 28, 2010

Chicken Tacostadillas w/ Homemade Tortillas



Using some chicken breasts from Tiny's Organics, we planned to make quesadillas tonight - but I got a wild hair to finally make use of some Maseca I bought a year or more ago.

For the uninitiated, Maseca is a brand of instant corn masa flour used to make corn tortillas. And it's shockingly easy to do.

With just a little water, salt and brute force, I rolled out four 6 inch round(ish) tortillas and fried them up in a skillet, then topped them with pepper gouda and cheddar cheeses, heavily spiced chicken breast, collard green chiffonade, onions, green onions, garlic and a little bit of rehydrated hot peppers. A little more cheese on top and they went back in the skillet to melt.

The result were essentially a hybrid of a taco, tostada and quesadilla. Maybe there's actually a word for what I made, but I'm not sure. It was a little too loaded up to eat like a taco, but the tortilla wasn't crispy like a tostada, and each only had a tortilla on the bottom, unlike a quesadilla.

It was also damn good.

And apparently, making your own tortillas was a hot topic for today - as Dan was actually reading about it while I was doing it upstairs (unbeknownst to him), and the next day I found this great article on SeriousEats about using Maseca to make homemade tortillas.

The article describes using a tortilla press or a skillet to flatten the dough into tortillas, though I had success in this first attempt by putting the balls of dough between layers of cling-wrap, then rolling them out with a rolling pin - pie crust style. But after reading about the tortilla press, I ended up indulging in one, as it'll make it easier to make more tortillas faster - I hope.



No comments: