Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ginger Salmon & Zucchini Fritter



This year, we started our garden with a couple raised beds planted with broccoli, a variety of greens, carrots, onions, gourds, cucumber, yellow squash and zucchini.

It came as no real suprise that the zucchini has completely taken over.

I'm not sure if I should've cut it back at some point, but it now has vines reaching over 10 feet, and has completely filled the area where I plan to build our chicken coop.



Thankfully, it's also producing great zucchini. We've been eating it roasted and grilled, but I wanted to try something a little different tonight. A little searching online found me a variety of zucchini fritter recipes, which I adapted a bit to create zucchini pancakes (a couple eggs, 1/2 cup flour, some seasonings, and one grated zucchini, squeezed to remove excess liquid). I put them atop some steamed rice, and topped them with pan seared salmon from Loki Fish Co, cooked in sesame oil in which I fried slices of ginger root.



We've still got plenty of zucchini (muffins will surely be in the mix soon), but I'm a little perplexed by what our plant is doing now. It's still producing normal oblong, dark green zucchini near the center of the plant - but the fruits forming on the vines are like pumpkins - big, spherical, and (so far) light green. Has anyone else seen this before? This one's about 10 inches in diameter already, and growing fast!

No comments: