Monday, August 23, 2010

Lemon & Herb Game Hens



Weeks ago, we bought two frozen Cornish Game Hens from Tiny's Organics - our go to source for all things poultry these days at the Columbia City Farmers Market.

I'd never cooked them before, so I poured through my cookbook collection. I had a feeling Martha wouldn't fail me, and I was right. In the second volume of her Martha Stewart Living Cookbook I found just what I needed: a recipe for Cornish Hens with Lemon and Herbs. The recipe is wonderfully simple, and in no time we were enjoying moist birds flavored with herbs from our own garden. I perched them atop some couscous tossed with pan roasted zucchini - any chance to sneak zucchini into dinner this time of year, to try to keep up with the our one plant.

Cornish Hens with Lemon and Herbs

2 Cornish Hens, room temperature, rinsed well and patted dry
1 bunch fresh thyme
2 lemons, halved
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 Tbspn unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place hens in a roasting pan, breast sides up. Place 2 thyme sprigs and half a lemon in cavity of each hen. Loosen skin from breast and place remaining thyme and parsley underneath. Squeeze remaining lemon halves over hens. Rub butter all over hens. Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast hens, rotating pan halfway through, until skin turns golden brown and an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 180 degrees F - 45-50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut hens in half lengthwise to serve 4, or serve whole for two.



1 comment:

D said...

for the zukes

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/quick-pickled-zucchini-recipe.html