Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Flank Steak



Flank steak is a staple for family dinner's with my in-laws, but Dan & I never made it ourselves until tonight. The great folks at Olsen Farms hooked us up with a beautiful cut and after a little marinating I broiled the meat and served it with some roasted potatoes and broccoli.

I was recently given a copy of How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman (a thank you for some help I provided someone at work), and turned to it tonight when trying to figure out the best way to cook the steak. I made my marinade using random things I found in the pantry and fridge, but may give this one a try next time.

Marinated Flank Steak
2-2.5 lbs flank steak
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
2 Tbspn fish sauce or soy sauce
1 tspn minced garlic
1 tspn minced or grated ginger (or ground ginger)
1 tspn sugar
salt and pepper

Combine all the seasonings in a shallow bowl and marinate the steak in them for at least 30 minutes. Refrigerate if you marinate longer than 30 minutes. Heat a grill or the broiler until very hot. Remove the meat from the marinade and dry well. Grill or broil about 4 inches from the heat until browned, about 3-4 minutes per side. Move the meat to a cooler part of the grill or oven and cook for another 2 minutes per side. Let it rest for 5 minutes before cutting across the grain into thin slices with a sharp knife.



No comments: