Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Whole New Kinda Kebab @ The Berliner



After my first lunchtime run, I found myself wandering the streets of South Lake Union trying to decide what to grab for lunch. There are lots of options, but not all of them seem like the kinda place you can get something quick to go. Then I stumbled on The Berliner.



Apparently, at some point, there was some amazing cross-culture coordination between Turkey and Germany, resulting in the Döner Kebab: slow cooked meat on a big spit, that's then shaved off and put in a hollowed out fladenbrot (flatbread) and grilled in a panini press.

I went for The Fiery Kreuzberg Döner with Lamb on Fladenbrot. It came with just enough chili yogurt sauce, plus peppers, cilantro, tomato, cucumber, red cabbage and onion. The fladenbrot itself was coated with seeds - which I failed to capture on camera (not realizing I had it upside down until I picked it up and dug in).

If you give The Berliner a try - and I strongly suggest you do - be sure to be prepared with the answers to three questions:

1. Which Döner do you want? (You can order by number, to avoid trying to speak German.)

2. What protein do you want - Chicken, Lamb, or Tofu?

3. What type of bread do you want - Fladenbrot, Ciabatta, Pita, Spinach Wrap or Wheat Wrap.

(You'd be surprised how many people didn't know the answers to these questions after standing in line for 10 minutes listening to every single person ahead of them order.)



The Berliner Döner Kebab on Urbanspoon

No comments: