Friday, May 24, 2013

Food Truck Friday: Tacos El Asadero





I'm having a little 'staycation' this week, extending my Memorial Day weekend a couple extra days. So today's Food Truck Friday gives you a break from the South Lake Union focus, and takes us instead to my neighborhood: South Seattle.







There are two buses in South Seattle converted to food trucks, both named Tacos El Asadero. I'm not sure if they're the same company, but I do know the one on MLK and Othello - right next to the Light Rail station, is delicious. A couple friends of ours moved to our neighborhood but a little closer to El Asadero, and go there a LOT. Somehow, though, Dan & I have never made it together - but I've been on my own. Way back in October 2010, I visited to try the Lengua Mulitas, ordering from the window on the side of the bus. Lengua is tongue - one of my favorite cuts of offal and a favorite taco filling. The tongue was tender and the tortillas were crisp, and, like everything I've ordered, it came with two little sauces - green and red.







This week, I returned for the Spicy Pork Torta - a Mexican sandwich. Given the spring rains this week, the window was closed - but the bus itself was open. I hadn't realized it, but most of the bus interior is a dining room, complete with a TV showing telenovelas. There was a group already eating inside when I arrived, but I opted to get my food to go - since Hilo was waiting patiently in the car. The sandwich was very messy (the spicy pork kinda fell everywhere, to Hilo's delight), but was full of flavor. It wasn't hot spicy, though, so I poured on the red sauce to add more kick.







I'm not sure whether the return of Huarachitos, which is going in right across Othello from El Asadero, will lead to them moving or struggling, but I know I'll be back to try more of the menu, and don't doubt our neighbors will, too.



Tacos El Asadero on Urbanspoon

No comments: