Friday, May 31, 2013

Food Truck Friday - Athena's





This week's Food Truck adventure took me to Athena's - a Greek food truck that seems to have won the SLU lottery. You see, South Lake Union is going through some growing pains right now. Up until a few weeks ago, there were tons of parking lots, and many of them rented portions of their parking to food trucks. It was a veritable food truck heaven. But all those property owners are now attempting to cash in on the growth in the area, turning their lots into underground parking with buildings on top. I've been forced out of two parking lots now, and we lost two of the best food truck 'pods'. That means a big reduction in food truck options. Hopefully, I'll still be able to find new places to try out so I can keep this series going!



But enough about my first-world problem of not enough food truck options...





My first trip to the truck was way back in October, and I took an old friend's advice and went for the Souvlaki. I'd never had it, but it's apparently her go to item. I went for the Chicken Souvlaki Gyro. The meat was a little over-done (chewy), but the sauce helped that a lot.







I followed that visit up (8 months later) by giving the 'Greek Philly' a try. It's described as "Thin shaved beef, green peppers, grilled onions, Provalone melted to perfection, Wrapped in a warm pita.". The pita and beef were definitely there, and a little bit of cheese, but almost no peppers.




If they end up being one of the few trucks around, I may find myself there again to try some other menu items (the lamb has my attention), but I wasn't blown away by either of my selections so far.




Athena's on Urbanspoon

(sorry for the delay on this post - I lost my phone the day I was supposed to write it, then got very busy)

No comments: