Friday, June 14, 2013

Food Truck Friday - Off The Rez





This week my Food Truck forays led me to Off The Rez - a truck serving Native American frybread as the base for delicious "Indian" tacos.







The tacos come in pork, chicken, beef and veggie, all served on top of the frybread, which is kinda like naan meets a donut: definitely savory, but fried and fluffy. I started with a Pulled Pork Indian Taco ($4.50), which was topped simply with a purple cabbage slaw.







Then I dove into a Chicken Indian Taco ($4.50), which was loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomato, cilantro and a crema.







On my next visit I opted to try something a little different, and went for their Burger ($5.50). I assumed it would be served on the signature frybread, but it turned out to be a beef burger on standard 4" diameter bun, with lettuce, bacon, cheese, cumin crema, and purple cabbage slaw. It was a pretty standard burger, cooked medium, with a nice smokiness from the cumin, and creaminess from the cheese. When I say standard, I mean it no disrespect - it was a tasty, satisfying burger of a good size (not too big, not a slider). It just didn't have any sort of spin on it, unless you count the cumin. Spin seems to be such a standard with food truck food, I come to expect it. But honestly, this burger didn't need anything else.







I was torn on what to get as a final item. The menu includes chili, fries, and a bunch of sweet offerings served on frybread, like the seasonal nectarine marmalade or nutella. But since I've been indulging a bit too much this week already (I made doughnuts for Dan & I to take to work, but ended up eating too many myself), I decided to go with a healthy option: the Quinoa Succotash ($3 for a small). It was a fresh mix of quinoa, corn, zucchini, asparagus, red onion and red pepper with a slightly spicy sauce served in a 4.5" diameter, 1.5" deep container. It turned out be the perfect pairing for my burger, giving me a mix of fresh, brightly colored veggies I could feel good about, packed with lots of flavor and a little heat.




Although the frybread is a bit of an indulgence, it definitely transforms the tacos into something unique, and something I'll be going back for. That, and the nutella frybread.




Off The Rez on Urbanspoon


















No comments: