Friday, June 20, 2008

Hawaii Day 9: MacNut Pancakes & Pupus



We hit the Royal Kona for breakfast again today, but skipped the buffet. Instead, I ordered exactly what I did on our trip last October - macadamia nut pancakes with a couple eggs on the side. I swear I'm normally more adventurous.



In the afternoon, we made our way up to the Hilton Waikaloa Village, where Dan's family was all staying. While searching the grounds for his sisters, we found ourselves in a little cafe on the lagoon, sitting at a table right next to Top Chef Season 2 finalist, Marcel Vigneron. He was there for a Food & Wine fest going on at the resort. I didn't want to be rude, so I didn't snap a picture - but I can report that he was incredibly polite when he got up to leave, as the seating was a little tight and we had to shift our seats out of the way for him. It makes me suspect that the villain persona that came across on the show was either creative editing, or was driven by the unnatural conditions of being on a reality show. His hair was also much less intense. I would guess he hadn't been in Hawaii long, since he had no hint of a tan. He was also traveling with a young lady, who was reading the Omnivore's Dilemma (same as me!)



Once we found everyone, we hit the Malolo lounge with Lisa, Carolyn, and Don, and had some cocktails. I went for Blue Hawaiians.





Back at the Royal Kona, the rain moved in on the Luau - though we weren't attending. We opted to hit Don the Beachcomber's Mai Tai Bar for some cocktails and pupus.



I had a Mai Tai first, but then switched to a Green Flash - a midori spiked tropical drink named for a natural phenomenon in Kona.



We ordered a mixed pupu plate, with steamed buns, shumai, and potstickers...



And the crab cakes...



And their steak poke. All were good, and the setting (right on the bay) was nice. It was fun to watch people dealing with the rain, while we sat high and dry in the bar enjoying our dinner. I did feel bad for the folks at the luau, since I recall that they don't offer refunds if it's rained out - just limited rain checks - and the show is only 3 times a week. For $75 a head (I think), wet food and no show would be a big disappointment.



Don the Beachcomber on Urbanspoon

No comments: