Saturday, August 16, 2008

Cucumber Cooler



Today we harvested 3 big, plump cucumbers from our garden... but since we're leaving in the morning for Vegas (I'll have plenty of food photos to share!), I decided to get creative. I froze two, which probably won't thaw well so they may get used to make a sorbet. The remaining cucumber I threw in the blender whole, and blended it down to a frothy juice. I strained it into a pint glass to get any big pieces out, then added some seltzer water.

To my surprise, the seltzer nearly exploded with foam - I assume due to the particles of cucumber providing a wealth of nucleation sites for the carbon dioxide.

So I had to switch gears, and poured some seltzer water into a highball glass, added a bit of the seltzer-cucumber mixture (which I siphoned from the bottom of the pint glass with a turkey baster), then added just a bit of the cucumber foam on top with a spoon.

The result was a super refreshing cucumber drink that helped us beat the last of the Summer heat in Seattle.

No comments: