Saturday, August 16, 2008

The El Sombrero Curse is Broken!!?



Since we're leaving town tomorrow, we decided not to bother getting groceries, so we ate out today for lunch (and had our leftovers for dinner). Amazingly, I remembered to take my camera to El Sombrero. In honor of the curse (hopefully) being broken, I took a ton of photos - from the warm crispy chips and the not-too-spicy salsa, to our drinks and entrees - and even our leftovers.



Dan went with a draft Tecate ($3.50), but I couldn't resist getting a photo of a big ol' Margarita Macho Cadillac ($10.50). This was the first time I paid attention to the price, which I was a little surprised by - but it is a large cocktail.



For his entree, Dan chose the Pollo Asado ($13.25), which was the reason we fell in love with El Sombrero in the first place. Marinated and cooked perfectly to produce a soft, flavorful bite every time. It's served with tortillas (Dan went with Corn), rice and beans, and a little pico de gallo, and is way more than either of us could eat in a sitting without getting uncomfortably full.



I chose the Camerones Con Chipotle ($13.99), which is one of my staples. I love the rice/beans/tortillas/shrimp dishes. This one is spicy and smokey, as you'd expect from something with Chipotle peppers (which are simply JalapeƱo peppers that have been smoked at a low temperature).



I opted for flour tortillas, which do have about twice the calories of corn, but I prefer their soft, pliable texture and milder flavor in dishes where the tortillas isn't cooked (as it is in enchiladas, where I use corn).



Not only did I remember the camera, I also remembered a couple Lock & Lock boxes to dish our leftovers into. Or in my case, my pre-leftovers. (To avoid my overeating habits, I spooned half the serving into the box before I began eating.)



Our favorite waitress commented again on my boxes, and mentioned they're reviewing some samples of non-styrofoam takeout containers, to move toward a compostable option. I'll probably still try to remember my Lock & Locks, but it'll be nice to not have styrofoam be my only other option.



I also snapped a photo of the weekly specials menu, for future reference.

No comments: