Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Green Curry with Shrimp & Potatoes



My coworker Martha graciously gifted me a can of green curry paste (along with other delicious sauces), and I've been eager to try it out. This week we made a special plan to use it, adapting a recipe from my Quick & Easy Thai Cuisine cookbook to use some squash from our garden, and the potatoes I forgot to use last night. It was quick and easy, as advertised, and incredibly flavorful. I also learned that green curry is already plenty spicy without needing to add more spice... a lesson about tasting before seasoning I should've learned by now.

Green Curry
6 Tbspn green curry paste
14 oz can coconut milk
1/4 cup fish sauce
3 Tbspn sugar
1 lb cooked shrimp
6 kaffir lime leaves
1/4 cup basil leaves
6 kaffir lime leaves
red chili pepper flakes
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Yellow Squash,
1/4 cup White Onion, chopped
2 Medium Potatoes, chopped and boiled

Combine curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce and sugar in a pot and bring to a slow boil, simmering for about 5 minutes. Add Red Bell Pepper, Squash, Onion and lime leaves, and continue simmering for another 5 minutes. Add potatoes, shrimp, basil and pepper flakes, and mix to combine and heat shrimp through (if using uncooked shrimp, add prior to potatoes and allow to cook through before adding potatoes.

No comments: