Thursday, September 24, 2009

Potato Scallop, Salmon Roulade, and Carrot Puree



Tonight we watched Top Chef prior to me going into the kitchen to make what was planned to be a simple dinner - fig leaf wrapped salmon and potatoes.



But often when I watch cooking shows, I get inspired and want to put a little extra effort in. So I started some water boiling and cooked some carrots from our garden until they were soft, and then popped them in a blender with some olive oil and lemon juice until they were pureed. Next I cooked some red potatoes (a housewarming gift from Brent at Olsen Farms) and then mashed them with a little butter and milk. I took a tail fillet of pink salmon from Loki Fish Co., cut it in half lengthwise, and then rolled each half up before wrapping it in a fig leaf from our backyard and baking them for 12 minutes at 350 degrees F. In the meantime, I used a biscuit cutter to create a cylinder of mashed potatoes, which I seared off in a hot skillet to which I'd added some ghee - clarified butter - because it can take the heat without burning. I used a couple spatulas to flip the potato 'scallop' and sear the other side, before plating on a bed of the carrot puree alongside the salmon roulade, topped with some dill.

No comments: