Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Kalua Pig, Mashed Potatoes, and Mixed Veggies



Our meal plan was pretty loose this week, and tonight we planned to hit the Columbia City Farmers Market - but Dan ended up getting a stomach bug and leaving work early. So instead, I picked up some special requests for him (mashed potato flakes, caramel ice cream and ginger ale), and then I whipped up something from things around the house for dinner.

I pulled some kalua pig from the freezer (we try to keep a stockpile at all times), and warmed that up in the microwave. I made up the mashed potatoes Dan specifically requested, and then paired those with a mix of veggies - frozen peas, white onion, & grape tomatoes - sauteed with a little olive oil and a mix of herbs from our garden. I threw a little bit of everything in there, including marjoram. Turns out we don't really like marjoram. It's too floral and tastes even more like soap than cilantro. Maybe I'll need to find recipes that use it to learn what it pairs better with?

No comments: