Sunday, July 25, 2010

The HealthMaster CAN Make Ice Cream



Thanks to a generous friend who knows I love to cook and try out new kitchen gadgets, I recently acquired the HealthMaster Living Well/Montel Fruit-and-Vegetable Emulsifier- a blender-on-steroids being peddled by Montel Williams on infomercials.



After reading the directions, I flipped through the many recipe books that came with it - and was surprised to see "ice cream" recipes. I put "ice cream" in quotes, because the recipe doesn't use any cream, and doesn't follow any of the traditional steps required to make ice cream - instead using frozen soy milk cubes and peanut butter. I was very skeptical, but figured I'd give it a try. Worse case scenario, I'd have something to cool me off on a hot day. I picked up some crunchy peanut butter, agave syrup, soy milk and chocolate chips at the PCC up the road from our house, and gave it a go.



I have to give it up to Montel and his HealthMaster - it really did make a tasty ice cream-like concoction. It was more of a thick milk shake at first (not that there's anything wrong with that!), but after some time in the freezer, it was perfect. (Though after a little more time, it got too icy). It would be interesting to see if any high quality blender could make this recipe, or if it requires this particular piece of machinery.

HealthMaster Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
3 cups soy milk
1/2 cup soy milk
2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
3 tbspn agave syrup
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Pour 3 cups of soy milk into ice cube trays and place in freezer until frozen. Add all ingredients except chocolate chips into the HealthMaster. Secure the lid. Turn the speed control to 1 (low). Turn on the machine. Increase the speed to 8 (high) until blended. Remove lid. Add chocolate chips and replace lid. Pulse 3 times. To prevent mixture from melting, do not over mix. Serve or place in the freezer.



No comments: