Monday, January 3, 2011

Oven-Roasted Aloo Gobi



After getting a Wii Fit for our birthdays, I was faced with the reality that I was officially 'overweight' (at least according to Nintendo).

Mind you, not obese or even very overweight, but overweight nonetheless. That was the wake up call I apparently needed, and the tool to help me make a change, it turns out. I've been on the Wii Fit every day for 43 days now, and by late December I was finally in the 'normal' range. (Dan is, of course, perfect in the eyes of both Nintendo and me.) The thing makes exercising fun and easy, with a virtual trainer who shows me each new exercise, and tons of games, yoga poses, and strengthening exercises to keep things interesting. The more I used it, the more functionality it revealed. Now I'm around 10 lbs lighter than my worst weigh in, and still working toward my long-range and short-range goals.

Of course, exercises on the Wii wasn't my only change. I've been hitting the gym pretty hard, and Dan's been specifically planning healthier meals, while I've been strict about portion control and using lighter options in the kitchen.

Tonight we made Aloo Gobi with Tofu - a dish we've made before the traditional way, which involves frying the cauliflower and potatoes in a fair amount of oil. Tonight, I followed the same recipe as in the past, but lightly sprinkling the chopped ingredients with a little oil, then tossing them with all the seasonings and roasting them in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes - until the potatoes were tender. I can't say I noticed a difference in flavor, but it was sure a lot easier (and less messy) than pan frying.

No comments: