Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sushi



After our Ahi Katsu dinner a few weeks back, and my 'Dessert Sushi' last week, we thought it would be nice to just make some basic maguro sushi rolls for dinner. Until tonight, Dan had never made sushi, so it was fun to show him how it's done and make something to eat in the process. For filling, we used maguro tuna, cucumber, and avocado. We also mixed up some 'spicy tuna' filling, with chopped tuna, sriracha, and mayo.



The rolls turned out pretty good (a little soft, but still delicous). We had them with some soy sauce and wasabi, which Dan mixed a little strongly at first, resulting in a very sinus clearing first bite.



To go with the sushi, Dan mixed up a couple Pele's Revenge cocktails - appropriate considering the recent surge in volcanic activity on the Big Island of Hawai`i. I just hope nothing serious happens, both for the sake of the people of Pahoa, and our wedding there in June. The news about Aloha Airlines no longer honoring flights is enough of a challenge for our guests... I'd hate to have them dealing with roads blocked off due to lava flows.



And as a dessert treat, I whipped up some brownies and tried (rather unsuccessfully, thanks to my impatient nature) to make a Nutella mousse to go with them. I used the microwave to melt the Nutella, which crystallized the sugar (methinks), making it bond into a weird gum when I mixed it with egg yolk and butter, and impossible to fold into the whipped egg whites. So I slowly blended it in, which of course deflated the egg whites, leaving me with a cream, at best, not a mousse. But still tasty.

No comments: